Pages

Saturday 10 September 2011

Bar Nightjar, Old Street 17/20

Location: City Road, just off the Old Street roundabout

Visit: Friday after work

To Note? Sandwiched between two dodgy cafes, a wooden door with an engraved brass plaque is all that gives it away

Scores
Ambiance 3/5
Design 4/5
Drinks 5/5
Staff 5/5
Extra LBS star: 'Fraid not

Google it. That was advice given to me and I am glad I followed suite so when I headed along City Road and saw the almost hidden entrance I felt very smug as my companion walked straight past, still talking. What was more difficult was navigating the almost pitch black staircase, luckily the heels were not on yet!

Once in, the staff were an absolute highlight. They were very accommodating as although it was almost empty it seems all the tables were booked from 7pm onwards. This is why they receive a measly 3/5 for ambiance. I was very happy there, loved the music but without only 3 or 4 other tables it wasn't buzzing...yet! The decor is spot on too, real 1920's feel and very comfortable to boot; again, did feel a little empty at the time.
What a drinks menu! (I am ashamed to say that with barely an hour to stay we dismissed the food menu, will go back) I opted for "Remember The Maine" - entirely alcohol which may sound like an odd statement about a cocktail but absinthe, brandy, cherry liqueur etc all added up to a potent but utterly delicious offering with a curious BBQ-ed baby corn decoration. My companion's "Japanese" was beautiful. A ceramic cup presented on mung beans with recipe playing cards was like a mince pie in a cup - yum!

I will definitely return to work through more of the menu, get an idea of the bar in full swing. It doesn't get a LBS star yet but I may have just found a new favourite, watch this space...

No comments:

Post a Comment