Pages

Thursday 18 August 2011

Mayor of Scaredy Cat Town, Shoreditch 16/20*

Location: Behind the SMEG fridge door... (aka Breakfast Club, Artillery Lane)

Website: http://www.themayorofscaredycattown.com/ but it won't tell you much!

Visit: Saturday brunch, around midday

To Note? Book ahead with henri@themayorofscardeycattown.com

Scores
Ambiance 3/5
Design 5/5
Drinks 3/5
Staff 5/5

Any extra LBS rating (for that je ne sais quoi): 1 star *

First of all I have to confess this was my first "speakeasy" bar experience so the extra LBS rating is for the excitement of entering a bar behind a bartender straight from the 1950's through a SMEG fridge door. Let's be honest, it's not easy to avoid that smug look as you saunter past the other diners who are clearly wondering just where the hell you are going and what they are missing.

Let me tell you, a real gem bang in the centre of the city. It is a basement bar, so it's dark, but it was cosy, with enough light to see the menu (see Bramble review!) and the music was simply awesome.

We chose to come for brunch so I started with the obligatory Bloody Mary and since I am on a confession role...this was my first ever Bloody Mary - don't judge me! I liked it. I wasn't crazy about it and it is most definitely an acquired taste but the home roasted tomatoes were really flavoursome, lots of spice was perfect for me and I finished the large glass quite happily. The Mayor loses marks on drinks as my drinking companion not only could not face hers (BM virgin too) but was so traumatised she opted for a simple Prosecco! We paid for the untouched drink.

Staff were great: friendly, unpretentious, on-hand, hungover (as I would expect from ood bar tenders who know their products). I do not feel I can fairly judge the ambiance. Not only was this visit a while back before the word got out but not everyone rocks up to a basement bar on a sunny Saturday morning for an alcohol fuelling egg-based meal!

I have subsequently recommended it to everyone. I have also heard "get in before the city boys do" though I am not sure it is really their scene. I will go back, and without the fear of overcrowding or a scary doorman (NOTA BENE Experimental Cocktail Club) and only wish there was one behind every fridge door, the world would be a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment